Google Plus

My effort for Vegetarian Awareness Month

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Acorn Squash with Tomatoes and Pesto

I adapted a menu that I found online to fit my ingredients; the original recipe can be found here

Ingredients

1 acorn squash
2 TBS olive oil
1/2  onion thinly shaved
1/2 small turnip chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4 tsp kosher salt
dash of pepper
 1/4 cup of pesto
Vegetable broth

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut the ends off of the squash and then cut it into four rings.  Remove seeds and string.

Arrange squash rings in a casserole dish. Add 1/2 inch  of vegetable stock.  Bake  for 25 minutes. Flip rings and bake for  30 minutes, squash should be easily pierced with a fork.

Pour olive oil in a frying pan, heat it on low and add the onion  and garlic.  Stir occasionally and let cook until the onions are clear.  Add turnip, carrots and celery.  After five minutes add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.  Cook until most of the water has boiled down.

Spoon tomato mixture over the squash. Top with pesto. 

I didn't but you could broil the squash ring in order to warm the pesto.  I found that the pesto warmed up quite nicely from the heat of the tomatoes.  I ate the squash right out of the skin.

Most of the ingredients came from my garden.  I liked the crunch of the turnip, carrots and celery.  They are not essential ingredients. I wanted to add as many garden foods as possible.

2 comments:

Hofacre HEN House Blogs said...

I love that recipe. It doesn't contain any of my allergy foods and I love making vegetarian dishes (my daughters wish I wouldn't) and I have a reason to purloin my dad's turnip!

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Remember the turnip takes a long time to soften. I liked the crunch. Your kids may not appreciate it. You might want to add the turnip with the onions.

Blog Anniversary

I have been doing this since before October 2005 The original blog is lost forever, thanks Yahoo!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!