Google Plus

How I Caught My Cold

Friday, March 6, 2009

I have been at home with a cold for three days now. I felt it coming on around 5:30 pm on Tuesday as I walked into the crochet ministry. The ladies kept asking me if i was okay. I thought it was just allergies. The weather had changed as if often does on Ohio. I assumed that something was flying around in the air just to make me miserable.
While at the crochet ministry I turned in a child's blanket that I completed and worked on a blanket for a friend.
These are the squares that I am using ======>

I participated in a granny square swap on Ravelry. I mailed 20 squares and should receive 20 squares in the mail. Unfortunately, I am short six squares. I have to make up the difference. The swap ended in February. I am hoping I get a surprise in the mail this month.
Anyway, my plan was to go to the crochet meeting then make my way to a craft store to pick up some new yarn. After that I would pick up dinner.
Too bad that I left my wallet at work.I know. Who does that? I can't believe that I did it.
So I went home with no wallet and warmed up something frozen for dinner.

The next day, I was ill. I ached, I hurt, I coughed, I wheezed and stayed home. I convinced my co-worker to bring my wallet to me. I slept all day.
The next day, I watched movies on the internet and three loads of laundry. Say what you will but I really detest the theaters. You need only work there for a few months to know why.

I have been home for three days. Tonight I am missing a birthday party. It sucks.
I am congested and I sweat when I eat.

So, I have been thinking about how I contracted this cold.

My office was recently evicted from our original location. When I drove to work each day, it was easy. Just three turns and 3 minutes each way. I loved it. After the third turn, I would pull into my favorite spot in the parking lot. In the new location there are winding roads to follow and a desperation to get there early enough to get a good parking spot. I decided to park in the parking deck each day to avoid the whole parking lot vulture thing. I have to leave home ten minutes earlier than before in order to accommodate the brisk five minute walk to my office.

I have been doing this for two weeks. Last Friday, I left the office to attend a meeting. I briskly walked to the parking deck. To my favorite level. The orange level and walked towards my car. I like parking in the full size parking side of the deck but on occasion I will park on the compact side just to prove how small my SUV really is.
My car was not on either side of level orange. I remembered having a dreaded allergy shot that morning and figured that I had parked on the green level or an upper level. I looked on the green level. I walked the two flights to the upper level.
I was stumped. where the hell was my car?

I mean I have had nightmares where my car has disappeared. I have them as often as I used to have those "I missed the school bus" dreams or the "I was registered for a class that I didn't know about" dream. Now they are replaced by the "The zombies are after me" dreams or the "I can't remember the number to 911" dreams. Come on. You have them too.
After about 20 minutes of this I called Onstar.

I forgot to mention that I work on a college campus. Good parking spaces are a premium. The parking deck while a short walk away from my office is still a great location that fills up by 9:30 am. I have myself timed to insure my favorite spot that is vacated each day by a commuter student after her 7:30 am class. I am thinking about adding her to my holiday card list.

Anyway, I asked Onstar to honk my horns and flash my lights so that I could find my car. The assistant asked if the deck was crowded. She was concerned about scaring people when the car would suddenly become alive. I coaxed her into doing it by assuring her that it was definitely in the parking deck and I would hear it.

Two minutes and probably a mile of walking up and down later, I decided that my car was not there. Onstar transferred me to the theft-recovery department. I just couldn't believe that my car had been stolen. I called my co-worker. He suggested that I parked in a different lot. Well that was an easy suggestion but I could not for the life of me figure out where. I decided the check the farthest lot from where I was standing first. This happens to be the closest lot to my office. I avoid it each day because it fills quickly. It was a long walk. A really long walk, but I knew if it was not there, the next lot would be closer. My heart dropped when I saw my car near the tennis courts.
I had been walking around the parking deck, breathing in car fumes and exposing myself to the cold for 45 minutes. I walked into my meeting with my head down, face flushed and frozen fingers, very late.
And that is how I think I got my cold. Karma for probably scarring the shit out of some college students walking past my car when the lights and horn were going at it.

I swear the strangest things happen to me.


Suse-the-slow-knitta said...

you poor kid! hope you feel loads better soon

Blog Anniversary

I have been doing this since before October 2005 The original blog is lost forever, thanks Yahoo!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!