Google Plus

My new Sox

Friday, August 13, 2010

Several weeks ago, I attempted to create my first pair of socks.  I selected a pretty washable wool yarn. I pulled out my double points.  I cast on.
I went to my knitting group to work on the gauge.  The professional instructor explained me to that acquiring gauge would be difficult.  This was not a knitting class  but a group therefore she was not instructing me, she was assisting me.   She mumbled something about carrying a long tail because purl rows and knit rows have different tension.  
I did not understand her.

The gal sitting next to me whispered, "I would not do it if I were you. These people here are crazy about their socks.  I do not understand the attraction. They are addicted to making socks.  Do not become one of them. It looks too difficult to be enjoyable."
I continued with knitting and purling my rows.  I created a 2 inch swatch and asked if I could establish my gauge.  Several knitters said, "no" in unison. I needed a longer swatch for gauge.  I continued. It was boring.

Just as I approached 4 inches, the perfect length for setting gauge, the part-time instructor looks up from her knitting and yells at me. 
"Your gauge is going to be wrong. I told you that purl rows and screw up your gauge.  You have to start over."
Several other knitters agreed with her. 
I feel tears in my eyes.
I started yelling back.  "This is so stupid. Why is it so difficult to make socks?"
I heard more "I told you so's."
The gal sitting next to me whispers, "I warned you. Sock making is serious business."

By now, I am crying. 

I am crying because I tried to knit a pair of socks.

It was ridiculous. 

Then I hear a soft voice.  "Frizzy, I will make you a pair of socks. "

I gave to her my yarn and she has been working on MY socks for a few weeks.  I have not been to my knitting group in three weeks due to my vacation. On Wednesday, I hope to have my new socks.


In the interim, I begged members of Ravelry.com to make me a pair of socks.  And here they are

They fit like a glove.
I have been accused of begging for socks instead of making my own.  I assure you that my tears were real. Ask any member of Knit Knight.

I am going to attempt a pair of socks this winter.  Wish me luck.  I am thinking about using this book.
Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits

1 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

don't worry about gauge, just knit a pair, nothing fancy and you'll be fine, really you will! it's not rocket surgery....

Blog Anniversary

I have been doing this since before October 2005 The original blog is lost forever, thanks Yahoo!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!