Google Plus

Jizz inside her again and again

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ownership The joys of homeownership.
This week's GBE2 prompt is ownership.

I thought this would be the blog entry to update you on the Possum Occupation of 2011.
This is the hole dug along my foundation.Uncle Handyman felt that since he was digging along my foundation then he should check for leaks.
This is the worker looking for the possum entrance.
So much for the garden.
Contractors don't respect anything.
I got a call saying that they were there, I rush home and my clematis is already destroyed. Uncle Handyman determined that the possum must have dug a hold under the house addition.

This should have happened as the building codes stipulate construction should go to at least 5 feet below the ground. The previous owner only oversaw the depth of 3 cinderblocks. This makes sense to men.
Have at it.
What remains of my collard greens.
I think there is enough for one half of a holiday meal.
That is a lot of dirt. When they attempted to fill the holes the backyard did not appear to be level. As if, more dirt joined the party. I am still trying to level the back yard before the frost.
They found it. Uncle Handyman compelled me to jump into the cavity in my backyard and see the possum hole for myself.
I didn't want to do it. But here is the proof that I did.
A better view for you. I had to reach up to get this photo.

This entry makes me nostalgic. I began blogging shortly after I purchased my house. So many things went wrong in the first six months.
I would link you to those old entries but they went away with Yahoo! 360. That experience taught me to have two sites, one acting like a backup

I found some pictures that were used in the original blog:
Fall of 2004. I hired a company to remodel the upstairs bathroom. When they were complete, I complained that the water pressure was too low.I described it as showering in a rainstorm.
Their attempts to review the problem and my plumbing resulted in a discovering that the water main had completely rusted.
Their manipulations caused it to rupture and the City issued a notice to me. My co-workers still refer to my homestead as the Lake House.
One even took the time to create an neat image of my house with a lake in front of it. I started a blog not long after this incident. funny pictures - NO RUNNING WATER,  NO BATH FOR THE CAT.

This is how the front lawn looked in Spring 2005.It recovered from the excavation from the Fall. I ended up firing the original contract company and filing a complaint against them. Long story... that I can't link you to because the journal entry is gone.


I learned as time went by that like contractors, Handymen can be very undependable. Each would get so far in the repairs and then disappear. I hired my first handyman in 2006 and he addressed my curb appeal.
nThe new handyman, Scott, reseeded my lawn. He disappeared before he could build a rain barrel for me. I believe that was around Spring of 2007. I made one for myself using a chisel, pantyhose, grated pipe cover, roofing tar and a threaded hose. Uncle Handyman said that he never saw anything like that before.
This was the only time I have had a real lawn. I remember that Spring in 2005. Just look at it.
Scott fixed the poor jobs that the contractors had left behind in my basement. I liked Scott. By the end of the Fall, I felt that I could handle all future home repair issues by myself.

When my bedroom closet, that I had PROUDLY hung, fell, I had to call back Scott to fix it. I sat on the floor crying after it fell. I almost fired him when he told me that I had too many shoes. HOW DARE HE.
In 2006, I redecorated the porch by myself. See the pictures here. Scott was out of the picture by then having left me hanging without a water barrel. I found a new handyman in 2008, Mark. He fixed some of the errors committed by Scott. He left without a word and with half the dining room molding stripped of stain.I think that was in 2009. The next guy that I used did his own disappearing act after not properly sealing the flat roof. After that incident, I decided to only work with family and Uncle Handyman.
After a few years of this I learned to live with the little inconveniences and the gray hairs.
This Spring, the light fixture in the kitchen crashes to the floor leaving two holes in the ceiling, it doesn't bother me. I ask Cousin L to install this light fixture.


I think it is a great fix. Uncle Handyman laughed.


Look at what this guy did

Epic Kludge Photo - Great, The Ceiling Light Is Drunk Again


see more There I Fixed It


Let me provide you with a listing of my favorite home ownership adventures that survived the move to Multiply and Blogger.

1. Strays: I wrote about roommates that reminded me of stray animals. I have since learned to be more particular.
So, my recent roommate entries have been about great people.
2. Yard work:
*I have written extensively about my lack of lawn care management skills and; grass.
*My attempts at mulching, growing and gardening are documented
3. Outdoor pests: My feral cat problems, which continue to plague me, again
4. My life with my neighbors and that one annoying family across the street
5. That time my TV brokeDay 2 and Day 4
6. Changing handyman because they like to disappear. This is the only surviving handyman entry-the Case of the leaking bathroom vent
7.The mysterious pooing of 2008
8. The flying trashcan
9. The insane house cats: Fuzzy, Fattie, Halle
10. The gnome that protects my home and garden
11. The bat infiltration of 2010 
Blogging has been loads of fun and given me an outlet for my home ownership adventures. Thanks for reading.

11 comments:

Jo said...

So many things there that I can relate to! Home ownership could also be called Money out the door Project!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

it's tough being as grown up!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I am overwhelmed at your post! So sorry about all your um...improvements you've had to make. Those poor collard greens! That is quite a cozy little possum hole Uncle Handyman discovered.

By the way, your front yard looks great! Yes, home ownership can be a money pit!

Darlene ~Bloggity Blogger~ said...

Home ownership certainly comes with it's own trials, but compared to renting, it is the best of the 2 worlds.

I love your house. It has personality. It looks like houses where I come from in NY. Houses in FL have little to no personality....

I'm glad you found the possum hole. I bet you sleep better at night. I hope Uncle Handyman filled that cozy little hole with concrete!

Darlene ~Bloggity Blogger~ said...

BTW...your use of spam mail titles is cracking me up! I may try that later...you know...after people won't think I stole your idea. hahaha

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Uncle Handyman filled the hole with a cinder block. Then he laid chicken wire again the wall of cinderblocks that he placed under the kitchen addition. In front of the chicken wire he placed some foam board. Then the dirt was dumped back into the hole.
Nothing is getting back in there.
I love my house but being a grown-up - NOT SO MUCH

Unknown said...

See, this is making me never EVER want to be a homeowner. Ever.

Brenda Stevens said...

OMY GAWD i am so cracking up..STILL because i still can't get over the first picture. I thought you were gonna say you found a petrified uncircumcised cave man!!!!!!

oh you SO MADE MY DAY and know it will be looking awesome in no time at all ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Oh the humanity! Who could do such a thing to those harmless, innocent, delicious, collards!

Andrea

Catch My Words said...

Home ownership definitely has its ups and downs. We have squirrels living in our attic--and they don't even pay rent.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I know from experience that home ownership is a black hole of money, but from here on out,I solemnly swear to think of this post whenever I'm tempted to gripe about whatever BS is sucking the bank account dry.

Blog Anniversary

I have been doing this since before October 2005 The original blog is lost forever, thanks Yahoo!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!